[fpc-pascal] Favourite Pascal books

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 17:57:48 CET 2013

Hi Patrick,

> I am just putting together an order for abebooks. They have a million
> and one Pascal books. I can't decide on which ones to buy.

I also forgot to mention in my previous post, there are some more
sources of information.

I have some e-books in INF format. They came from the Sybil Library.
Sibyl was a Delphi-clone, much like FPC & Lazarus, but for the OS/2 and
later the Windows platforms. The company later closed down, but open
sourced much of their work.

Anyway, the one ebook [tutorial.inf] has 10 chapters covering the Object
Pascal language in a nice friendly manner. Easy to follow. There are
some references to Sybil or OS/2, but the information about the language
is sound, and using FPC you should be able to follow the examples
without problems.

The second ebook [oop_refg.inf] covers Object Oriented Programming using
Object Pascal. Unfortunately this book is only available in German - I
have plans to translate it to English soon.

To view the books you need an INF viewer. You can download fpGUI's
Docview binary for Windows or Linux from SourceForge
[http://sourceforge.net/projects/fpgui/files/fpGUI/0.8/], or you can
compile the latest version of DocView from the fpGUI repository. DocView
is a small stand-alone application (450KB download) - no installation or
3rd party libraries are required.

Some INF e-books are available at:

   http://opensoft.homeip.net/~graemeg/inf_books/

Regards,