[fpc-pascal] Object pascal language compatiblity - was: Does FPC 2.8.0 can actually still be called Pascal ?

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Thu Feb 28 18:56:37 CET 2013

Am 28.02.2013 01:16, schrieb Simon Kissel:
> All this being said: I know that FPC is not after business goals.
> But not damaging the ecosystem FPC works in helps everyone using
> Object Pascal, no matter if they are after commercial goals or not.

The mission goal of FPC is to provide an OSS pascal compiler in a
community effort by pascal users so this implicitly means that we try to
avoid to destroy the ecosystem we are living in. So FPC tries also to
support as much as possible pascal dialects. Actually, nothing prevents
people to provide a completly rewritten rtl throwing old stuff away but
it must live together with the existing one.

Staying with the bazaar and cathedral metapher: one can always build up
his own market stand in FPC's bazaar. But one cannot come with a big
bulldozer and remove other people's stand to make room for the own stand.