[fpc-pascal] Does FPC 2.8.0 can actually still be called Pascal ?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Feb 28 10:21:59 CET 2013

In our previous episode, ik said:
> I was going over the wiki and looked at
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_New_Features_Trunk .
> It looks like some of the features here, actually breaks Pascal, and
> create something like Jascal or something, but it's not Pascal in
> spirit.
> For example 1000.to_string ?! I have it on Ruby and Java, but it's not
> Pascal syntax.
> Same goes for array constructors.

We already have had this discussion for VB (D4/COM extensions), .NET etc.

Yes Delphi will copy everything what is popular in a desperate attempt
to increase its appeal.

> I actually starting to ask the same questions of Graeme, do we really
> want to follow Delphi instead of creating a more Pascal like dialect ?

FPC is not clean either. Constructs like case string of remind of basic and
the proposed tuple support is not exactly hardcore imperative languges (let
alone Pascal) either.