[fpc-pascal] Does FPC 2.8.0 can actually still be called Pascal ?

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 00:50:11 CET 2013

On 2013-02-27 22:40, ik wrote:
> For example 1000.to_string ?! I have it on Ruby and Java, but it's not
> Pascal syntax.
> Same goes for array constructors.

Both of those are just hideous to me. Very un-Pascal like. :-(

> I actually starting to ask the same questions of Graeme, do we really
> want to follow Delphi instead of creating a more Pascal like dialect ?

And to make matters worse... FPC isn't very Delphi [2009 and later]
compatible anyway. It copies some features but not all. Then the some it
does copy might not be fully functional yet, or has a different syntax.
I tried multiple times to make a Delphi 2009+ project of mine work with
FPC 2.7.1, and I just can't succeed. I fix or work around one issue,
just to be blocked by another.

I still believe FPC should leave the "delphi compatible" idea, or
clearly state that it means "compatible with Delphi 7 for legacy
purposes" and nothing newer. Then innovate the rest of the language on
its own in a Pascal-like manner.

FPC now definitely finds itself in the Jascal.NET territory. ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/