[fpc-pascal] OT a bit - Planet Object Pascal

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Mon Feb 18 17:07:22 CET 2013

On Mon, February 18, 2013 01:40, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> Am Sunday 17 February 2013 18:45:50 schrieb Florian Klämpfl:
>> Am 17.02.2013 18:10, schrieb ik:
>> > Nice, Pascal is at the same level of usage and exposure as gcc, Linux
>> > kernel and llvm,
>>
>> And you think some fancy webpage filled with java script (which is
>> turned off in my browser) would change this?
>
> In my opinion it would be ok to make the webpage a little bit more
> eyecandy.
> That can be done also without java script(!)
>
> http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Das_Auge_isst_mit
> (only in german)

Sure. There has been a similar discussion not such a long time ago. If
someone volunteers to design something more eyecandy (stressing the word
"design", i.e. the point should not be in proposals for switching to some
complicated tools requiring a lot of effort to keep the things working),
we will certainly consider such a (visual) change.

>> > Look at:
>> >
>> > http://ruby-doc.org/
>> > http://www.python.org/doc/
>> >
>> > Should I continue, or do you get my point ?
>>
>> Yes, I got it: you compare fpc docs written by a few people in their
>> spare leisure time with docs written and maintaned mainly by multi
>> billion companies existing for decades.
>
> It would be also ok to have the possibility to donate the fpc project.
> But some time ago you refused this because you feel too much pressure
> (responsible) then.

This comment misses the point, I'm afraid. If you propose creating and
managing a non-profit organization which collects the donations and hires
some (additional) people for blogging, creating more examples, documenting
packages not documented yet, etc. (mostly hiring people interested in
doing such stuff and thus applying for such jobs), you're welcome to do
so. If you propose that people who decided working on FPC as their hobby
(in their leisure time) instead of creating a commercial company and
trying to make money for living out of it should collect donations for
doing something they don't like doing, it makes no sense.

Tomas