[fpc-pascal] Re: Fpc Access Violation if AppConfigDir doesn't exist.

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Mon Feb 11 12:48:22 CET 2013

Il 11/02/2013 12:40, Mark Morgan Lloyd ha scritto:
> Giuliano Colla wrote:
>
>> However, what I've learned from this episode is that while attempting
>> to save configuration data using TINIFile on program termination you
>> should never use a try..finally construct, as it's suggested
>> everywhere, but rather a try..except (or both). Otherwise you'll
>> never be able to catch possible errors.
>
> I'd suggest that there are two separate cases here. In the first case,
> near the start of a program you decide whether there is a preexisting
> .ini file, create it if not, and if necessary update it to contain
> e.g. the default name of a backend server. In the second case, at the
> the end of a program run you save the current session's state.

I was speaking of the second case(saving configuration data to your .ini
file).
When attempting to load configuration data, a try..finally is ok. If no
configuration data are available you already have a built-in mechanism
to provide default values.
But when attempting to save the current session's state at the end of
the program, a try..finally will mask any error, and possibly lead to an
unpleasant lock up.

Giuliano