[fpc-pascal] SDL 2.0 Test, Need Advice

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 05:20:26 CEST 2013

So I did a lot of googling and testing and still haven't made progress
fixing these problems.

Problem #1 which prevents me from debugging or running projects which link
to libSDL2.so in the IDE (lazarus) is quite annoying. I've put together a
minimal example. If anyone with access to a 32 bit linux and lazarus setup
could help me figure out why I can't debug or run, I'd very much appreciate
your help.

program sdl2_test;

const
  SDL_INIT_VIDEO = $00000020;

function SDL_Init(flags: LongInt): LongInt; cdecl; external 'libSDL2.so';
function SDL_GetVideoDriver(index: LongInt): PAnsiChar; cdecl; external
'libSDL2.so';
procedure SDL_Quit; cdecl; external 'libSDL2.so';

procedure Run;
begin
  SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);
  WriteLn('Initialized');
  WriteLn('Video Driver: ', SDL_GetVideoDriver(0));
  SDL_Quit;
  WriteLn('Quit');
end;

begin
  // issue #1, the line below never executes when Run (F9) from lazarus
  Run;
  // but runs correctly from a terminal window
end.

Source file of the above here including libSDL2.so binary:
http://www.codebot.org/sdl2_test.zip

If anyone wants to build the SDL2 static and dynamic versions themselves,
type the following in your linux terminal:

mkdir test
cd test
hg clone http://hg.libsdl.org/SDL
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../SDL
make

Mind you, I'll be contributing the conversions (and some demos) when
everything seems to work correctly, so you'd be doing everyone a favor if
these problems (or at least problem #1) can be resolved.