[fpc-pascal] Re: Generics - how to rewrite TOjectDictionary

dmitry boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 11:52:28 CEST 2013

You can always use functions, to fight typecasting.

function GetMyObject(dic: TStrings; const nm: string): TMyObject;
var
  i : integer;
begin
  if not Assigned(dic) then begin Result:=nil; Exit; end;
  i:=dic.indexof(nm); // replace with IndexOfName if necessary
  if (i<0) or (i>=dic.Count) or not (i.Objects[i] is TMyObject) then
Result:=nil
  else Result:=TMyObject(i.Objects[i]); // not using "as" , since "is" has
already been used
end;

Of course, people would use ClassHelpers these days to have nice syntax and
avoid the sanity check.

thanks,
Dmitry