[fpc-pascal] Best way to transfer data between applications?

印場 乃亜 shiruba at galapagossoftware.com
Tue Oct 30 14:34:46 CET 2012

Hi,

Wow I am surprised this is continuing so long - I take it other people have interest in the subject too.

On 2012/10/30, at 17:08, "Jorge Aldo G. de F. Junior" <jagfj80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/10/30 印場 乃亜 <shiruba at galapagossoftware.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wow, Class Factories - I am having nightmarish flashbacks to my college C++ classes.
>>
>> Okay, Thank you for all of the suggestions.  I will try to compare the suggestions, and see what I can come up with for my situation.
>> Just for further information:
>> 1. I wasn't really planning on using the network, so using something that has to pack/unpack the data from FPC to other
> formats might be overkill.
>
> For the data delivery part, you can use TSimpleIPCServer/TSimpleIPCClient

Which is what I have been doing so far - though I had to look into the implementation and use lower level calls in some cases to stop the app from blocking on reading - at least on OS X.  (It would sometimes think there was data waiting, and try to read it, which would freeze the app).  Also I have mainly been using CSV.  It doesn't seem easily possible to have multiple clients hook to a single server either - though maybe I am missing something.

>> 2. I am happy to pass records, Objects aren't really necessary.  (If you pass an object in binary, the internal pointers would be referencing the old copy anyway).
>>

> The problem with records is that the data sending/receiving function
> must know the record structure in advance, or use a very inflexible
> record strucuture (one size fits all), or use a much more complex
> protocol with multiple entry points selected by a prefix byte or
> something similar.

I think that last one if what the debug server protocol does.

> in the end of the day, classes tends to be simpler to pass around.

wow... but if you pass a class, then the VMT, etc. needs to be re-done somehow.  (i.e. the new copy needs to be actually instantiated, the constructor re-run, etc.).

> Think about this :
>
> Class TA has a property named pname, another property named pvalue.
>
> Instance A is an instance of TA.
> Instance B is an instance of TA.
>
> Instance A has the property pname set to 'somename'
> Instance A has the property pvalue set to 10
>
> Instance B has the property pname set to 'somename'
> Instance B has the property pvalue set to 10
>
> Is A=B ?

By my definition, yes, but not by pointer logic.  (Unless the language does some fancy COW stuff).

> If you simply look at the pointer (classes are internally pointers to
> data structures in memory), then no, they are different.
>
> But if you look at the values, then they are the same.
>
> What i want to mean ?
>
> If you can, using some IPC/whatever, make a new instance on the other
> application, of the same class, with the same values, then (for a very
> wide interpretation of the meaning of transporting) you transported
> the class from one application to another...even if they are not
> exactly the same instance...

Right, if you can easily do this.

> that means that you dont need shared memory nor any fancy trick, just
> a simple protocol like
>
> <classname> <property1value> <property2value> ... <etc>
>
> where classname is used as an index on a class factory and
> property1values are used to set the class properties
>
> will do the trick.
>
> (There are some languages that can LITERALLY transfer an instance
> between two applications, but Pascal cant due to being statically
> typed).

Well, it could with some compiler magic I think, if both sides had access to the same type.  Actually, I suppose it would be more RTL magic than compiler magic, I suppose.  The types are known at compile time (plus there is RTTI), so if the applications shared a common type library, it should seemingly be possible.  Of course this approach would be relatively brittle since if anything changed about the type in one place, everything would have to be recompiled with the same change.  Not much different from linking, I suppose.

>> I was actually considering using the GUI messaging system like exists in Windows, but:
>> 1. It doesn't really exists on non-windows systems (I read some about one being created for Lazarus on Linux)
>
> TSimpleIPCServer/TSimpleIPCClient is portable across all FPC targets.

Supposedly, but see above.

>> 2. I seem to recall that it only allowed passing relatively simple messages.  I thought perhaps I could use shared memory and then send a message telling the client application to read the record.
>
> Shared memory is usefull when you need to transfer large blocks of
> data fast between two instances. I believe pipes are simpler for
> simpler tasks (And thats what TSimpleIPCServer/TSimpleIPCClient use).

Right, and I am talking about relatively small amounts of data, not movies or something.  The reason I thought of SHM is that there would be no need to decode the structure into a string and re-encode it, etc.  Instead, the application could somehow pass a message and a pointer.  The receiving application then takes over management of that record (or whatever), and the sending application forgets about it (and allocates a new one next time it needs to send something).

Of course the devil is in the details, which is why I was asking about standard solutions.

> TSimpleIPCServer/Client are standard components being part of the FCL.
> (Freepascal component library). At least they come standard with the
> compiler.

Which is why I am using them now.

Actually, in case anyone is searching this mail archives for similar solutions in the future, let me say a little more about *why* I am trying to communicate between two applications on the same machine:
1. Using threads in FPC is a pain and has proven unreliable for me.  (There needs to be some auto-sunchronization...)
2. I like to separate the logic between the core and the GUI (and what better way than to compile them separately?)
3. I might want to compile the core as 64bit with the GUI as 32bit (which is required on OS X right now...)
4. I might want to have multiple applications (or multiple users) to access the same core without weighing down the machine by running multiple copies of it.
5. The core might be in C or such, while the client is in FPC.  (I do this on Mac OS where I write the core in ObjectiveC for easy access to the Cocoa libraries, and then export the data I need to FPC via a named pipe).
6. I might want to have different security on the two "applications".  Interestingly OS X has taken this approach recently, but this is slightly different special type of app, and I don't think we have direct support for it in FPC yet.

In all but one of those cases, it's FPC to FPC, so I don't much care the format.  I suppose in reality, something like RecordToBlob -> IPC -> BlobToRecord would work fine, as long as the BlobToRecord could detect the original type and return that type.

Thank you,
    Noah Silva