[fpc-pascal] Using flag field in Getopts

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 11:52:31 CET 2012

On 30/10/12 10:05, luciano de souza wrote:
> Hello listers,
> Getopts offers very good features to process commandline arguments. As
> far as I could understand, I used it successfully. But it remains one
> unknown aspect for me. What is the field "flag"" of TOption record?
> How to use it?
>
>   TOption = Record
>     Name    : String;
>     Has_arg : Integer;
>     Flag    : PChar;
>     Value   : Char;
>   end;

I think the man page for getopt explains best how this is supposed to work:

flag specifies how results are returned for a long option.  If flag is
NULL, then getopt_long() returns val.  (For example, the calling program
may set val to the equivalent short option character.)  Otherwise,
getopt_long() returns 0, and flag points to a variable which is set to
val if the option is found, but left unchanged if the option is not found.

Henry