[fpc-pascal] OT: Creating a site to contain Pascal units, libraries etc

Jeppe Græsdal Johansen jjohan07 at student.aau.dk
Tue Oct 30 01:29:18 CET 2012

Den 30-10-2012 01:04, ik skrev:
> Hello,
>
> There are many places such as GitHub, Google Code, Sourceforge etc,
> that hosts a lot of open source projects, libraries etc for
> FPC/Pascal.
> On the other hand we have fppkg that can have repositories and able to
> allow us remote download and install of code.
>
> Ruby has the following web site that allow you to find and have a
> single place to install such things:
> https://rubygems.org/
>
> I think that web site like this, with the ability to add fppkg sources
> that other can look for and install will benefit everyone, reduce
> duplicate work, and
> help us find Pascal tools :)
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Ido
>
> * I sent it originally for FPC-Others, but it does not appear there
> even in the archive
I like the idea, but who can make such a site?

There are many different more or less dormant or noisy pages around the
net sometimes with sourcecode, but much of the time dead links. And when
you finally end up those places things are locked into broad categories
with 1000's of entries to wade through. And there's no way to measure
how good the stuff actually is except for downloading it and looking at
it, finding out when it was last updated, licenses, supportt, etc.

Some ideas:
- Allow limited hosting of open-source text source files(they compress
well so it doesn't take up much hosting space).
- Allow projects to be tagged with arbitrary tags instead of having
categories, and let users vote tags up or down.
- Require basic information which can be easily presented: Source
license, tested+supported platforms, external requirements, contact
information, etc.
- If the project dies then allow users to specify new locations that
eventual forked source can be found at.

Regards,
Jeppe