[fpc-pascal] Delphi's anonymous functions in Free Pascal

印場 乃亜 shiruba at galapagossoftware.com
Mon Oct 29 05:40:13 CET 2012

Hi,

> -----
> This is funny to remember today. ;-)
> When i run BP 7 on 80286 computers, and then compared with size and speed of
> TP 5.5 - i was sure as hell that OOP is for lazy programmers, who cannot
> make code fast and small.
> And i remember comparing speed of Virtual Pascal and contemporary FPC. VP
> bet everything on compilation efficiency. And died.

This was sad to me.  I ported the FPC system libraries (All of sysutils,pas, etc.) to VP with the goal of helping it live longer and work better on linux.  The next version of SysUtils for FPC used features VPC didn't have, and I couldn't fake without modifying the compiler.  I have the compiler source (The author made a "Core Team" to work on the compiler, and shared the source code and some bata builds for linux, etc.).  Unfortunately, at that time I was in college, and didn't have time to learn the intricacies of i386 ASM when I was already dealing with MIPS ASM in school!

The compiler is one solid block of ASM code, and about impossible for anyone but the author to modify, I suspect.  It was perhaps the right design decision at the time, however.

> But afterall i am quitting on that. Since FPC are lacking closures i am sure
> here are mostly people who personally dislike them. I wanted to document why
> closures are good and do matter. Hopefully i did it to the extent i was able
> to. Surely i would not be able to convince you infinite time. So the rest of
> arguments would be questions of personal tastes and it would bring nothing
> but flamewar.

I don't think personal taste should come into it.  As far as I know, one of the missions of FPC is to be an alternative to other Pascal compilers, which means we should strive for feature parity with the popular distributions.  We could go the "Pure" route, but then we would end up with something nearly useless like GPC.  (I tried GPC before around year 2000, and I couldn't even compile Hello World type programs from TP7!)

> Allow me to congratulate you all with Lazarus 1.0 release and thank you with
> good and practical language implementation.

Likewise.  I wish I had more time to contribute to this great "product".

> Have a nice TimeOfDay();*)

Thank you,
    Noah Silva