[fpc-pascal] Re: New FPCUnit db results writer: testdbwriter: request for... testing

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 09:24:44 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-26 08:46, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> More related to my initial post: what do you do with test results (e.g.
> tiopf tests, your own software tests)?
> Do you store them in a database?

I have never had the need for storing unit test results for long term.
In the tiOPF project, only the latest test result is viewable with a web
browser (I could easily add a timestamp to the filename though).

  http://opensoft.homeip.net/tiopf/fpcunit/index64.html
  http://opensoft.homeip.net/tiopf/fpcunit/index32.html

That is the processed results - XML results converted to HTML using a
small XSL file I wrote. At the moment the above links are for 32-bit and
64-bit FPC Linux test runs. I plan to add more such links for Windows
and FreeBSD test results as well.

The text results (summary information with errors or failures listed)
are posted to the tiopf.dailybuilds newsgroup. Any posts in that
newsgroup expire after 7 days. So there we can view a history of unit
test results.

or view the newsgroup via the web interface:

    http://opensoft.homeip.net/webnews/

> Being able to store fpcunit, dunit, dunit2, even junit and other test
> results in that db may be a handy thing...

Side note:
DUnit2 (as on SourceForge) is becoming a Delphi only project. Originally
DUnit2 was developed inside the tiOPF repository, but since the passing
of Peter McNabb, the project was forked. The Delphi version of DUnit2 is
now on SourceForge, and the Free Pascal version (now called FPTest [Free
Pascal Testing Framework] to prevent confusion) lives in GitHub.

  http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPTest

FPTest removes things like Kylix, Delphi.NET etc support, plus lot of
other code cleanup. New GUI Test Runners are being developed as well.

Regards,
  - Graeme -