[fpc-pascal] releasing commercial components as PPU files

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:00:52 CEST 2012

Am 22.10.2012 15:45, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
>> I have doubts this is all worthwhile. Compared to delphi, versions and
>> targets significalty increase, thus support burden increases
>
>>From my experience it seems that if you do production work, stick to
> officially released FPC versions only. I have had problems with 2.7.1
> and 2.6.x and reverted to using 2.6.0 only, for production code.
>
> I know this is my experience only - I don't know how other commercial
> entities work with FPC.

DevArt uses this approach for their data access components (see here at
the bottom: http://www.devart.com/unidac/compatibility.html ): the
binary only trial edition supports a specific version of FPC (2.6.0
currently) and Lazarus (0.9.30.4 currently - seems that the should
update ;) ) while general support is available through their source release.

In theory as long as the PPU version (is only changed by breaking
changes in the PPU structure, but not within a release), the CPU and the
OS (and for ARM and M68k the "FPU emulation setting") is the same and
the RTL units are compiled with "-Ur" there shouldn't (!) be much
problems. It might (!) get more messy though if you need to use units
distributed with Lazarus (e.g. "Controls", "Graphics", etc.), though it
could (!) also work without much headaches.

Regards,
Sven