[fpc-pascal] releasing commercial components as PPU files

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 15:31:41 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-22 14:15, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> That will most probably not work, although maybe -Ur may provide a solution.

Isn't -Ur a default compiler option in official releases? So a 'make
all' in the FPC 2.6.0 source directory should use the same compiler
options on every Linux setup etc, and be identical to say the binary FPC
2.6.0 Linux release file. Obviously taking into account the same bit
size (32-bit or 64-bit Linux).

Saying that, looking at the released files on SourceForge again - all
releases on Linux, FreeBSD etc have binary releases, so maybe the
problem is not so much of an issue, because the officially released FPC
versions will be consistent across Linux or FreeBSD. And that's the
version I'll support in my components. This is just like Delphi then.

> It is a discussion I have had several times, and usually the result was
> negative. As soon as any of the dependencies is recompiled, there are
> problems.

That's why I'm saying only official FPC releases will be supported in
the PPU versions of my components. If they want to use FPC 2.6.x (fixes
branch) or FPC 2.7.1, then they must buy the source code version of my
components.

I guess the best thing is to simply try it out. Example, using Linux.
I'll create PPU on my development machine using an official binary
release of FPC 2.6.0.  Move those PPU component files to a Linux VM and
test it with a binary FPC 2.6.0 release. Then recompile FPC 2.6.0 from
official FPC 2.6.0 source archive, and see if my PPU components still work.

Regards,
  - Graeme -