[fpc-pascal] Re: problems compiling FPC

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Oct 17 16:52:05 CEST 2012

In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:
> > OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK=1 whenever you build a cross-compiler. Even
> > more: it will suggest that building a cross-compiler should also be
> > done starting with the latest release, while in fact it they should
> > be built using a native compiler built from the same svn version.
> > Therefore I don't think think that we can check anything in case of
> > cross-building.
>
> Also, maybe the printed message should be more explicit about the fact
> that using the latest release is the only supported way to bootstrap
> the compiler, and that OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK=1 must only be used if you
> know for a fact that the starting compiler was built from the same
> sources that you are currently compiler.

New text:

D:\repo\fpc>make all
makefile:2717: *** The only supported starting compiler version is 2.6.0.
You are trying to build with 2.7.1. If you are absolutely sure that the current
compiler is built from the exact same version/revision, you can try to use
OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK=1 to override .  Stop.

+ a ifndef crosscompile around the whole version check.

I thought about the 2.6.0<->2.6.2 transition, but it is easy to temporarily
wrap another version check around it for a few weeks. More work, but not a
problem. (just needs documentation in rel_eng)