[fpc-pascal] Re: problems compiling FPC

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Oct 17 15:03:47 CEST 2012

In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:
> > It is kept simple on purpose. Only works on toplevel makefile (easy to
> > maintain), only on the toplevel "all" target, the required version
> > is also
> > kept there (toplevel Makefile.fpc as only place).
>
> I think it's annoying that you then have to type
> OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK=1 whenever you build a cross-compiler.

Yes. I already experimented by ifndef CROSSCOMPILE, but that
is also when not cross-architecture.

> Even more: it will suggest that building a cross-compiler should also be
> done starting with the latest release, while in fact it they should be
> built using a native compiler built from the same svn version.  Therefore
> I don't think think that we can check anything in case of cross-building.

Ok. Then it is actually easier, and it is just a matter of disabling it
totally for CROSSCOMPILE=1. I expected more complicated rules there.

Another problem I came up with is that the system compares textually, and
thus immediately after 2.6.2 release will only allow one of those two (2.6.0
or 2.6.2), not both to allow for a graceperiod of a few weeks.