[fpc-pascal] problems compiling FPC

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 12:49:03 CEST 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2012-10-17 10:10, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Some slack would be desirable: stable is 2.6.0 but there are known
>> issues which are fixed by 2.6.1.
>
> Nope, the FPC developers made the rules quite clear! Not even the fixes
> branch is guaranteed to compile FPC Trunk. ONLY the last released FPC is
> guaranteed. I have even stumbled over this too, where the fixes branch
> couldn't compile FPC Trunk, but the latest released version could.

Graeme, I know what policy is. However I'd point out that right now you
/need/ 2.6.1 to compile FPC for SPARC due to code generation issues, and
there have previously been similar problems with ARM while FP stuff was
work-in-progress.

So saying "if it won't compile with stable then sod off" isn't helpful.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk