[fpc-pascal] Re: windres not required/provided by Debian 2.6.0 FPC

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Mon Oct 8 23:10:51 CEST 2012

On 8 Oct 12, at 18:31, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 8-10-2012 9:12, Tomas Hajny wrote:
> > On Mon, October 8, 2012 08:21, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

Hi Reinier,

> >> While getting a Jenkins continuous integration server going....
> >>
> >> On Debian 6 (Squeeze), I installed just enough packages to get a
> >> compiler and get a compile job going
> >  .
> >  .
> >> The manual mentions that the FreePascal distribution comes with the
> >> windres resource compiler
> >> (http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/prog/progse59.html).
> >  .
> >  .
> >
> > The manual forgets to mention that this is only the case on Win32 (where
> > the various GNU tools and utilities are included with the FPC installation
> > package). It also doesn't mention that different resource compilers may be
> > used on other platforms (e.g. gorc on Win64, etc.).
> Could be.
>
> HOWEVER: I'm sure you can put multiple resource compiler packages in the
> Debian dependency requirements, so any one of those will satisfy the
> install.
> This way there would be no need to modify the manual as far as
> Debian/Ubuntu is concerned and users can just start to program without
> having to worry about satisfying dependencies.
>
> If that (for some obscure reason) is too restrictive, it could at least
> be put in the recommends section.
>
> I'm sure rpm has similar provisions.

I understand your point and I didn't mean to disqualify your request
/ suggestion (which needs to be reviewed by people maintaining the
RPM and Debian release building configuration) - I just wanted to
mention that the description in our manual (as quoted by you) has
even more issues. I'd suggest creating a bug report for this
documentation fragment (windres will probably never get included as
part of FPC distribution on Linux even after your proposed changes of
dependencies) so that it isn't forgotten. You may want to create
another bug report for the installation package itself and the
missing dependency, or wait a bit more for the response from the
respective platform maintainers (I cannot judge your proposed
solution myself).

Tomas