[fpc-pascal] Running FPC on a system that supports multiple architectures

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 11:46:57 CEST 2012

This is an "out of interest" question rather than being particularly
important. I've managed to get my hands on an Itanium-based system for
my collection, and find that it runs the x86 Linux variant of FPC fairly
happily. However, GNU as and so on clearly don't know about x86
assembler: they expect the monstrosity that is IA-64.

I could obviously build appropriate binutils with the conventional
naming prexies, but what is the preferred way of telling FPC/PPC which
binutils to use? Is that where the CPU_TARGET and OS_TARGET shell
variables come itno it, or are they only for use in makefiles?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk