[fpc-pascal] Re: Pathscale: alternative debugger on Linux?

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:37:19 CET 2012

On 12/11/2012 13:20, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 12-11-2012 13:51, Lukasz Sokol wrote:
> <snip>
>>> [2]
>>> http://www.pathscale.com/pdf/PathScale_Software_License.pdf
>>
>> See in that file, article 3.1 and 3.2. In short, Pathscale's portions cannot
>> be used however you want.
>
> Yep, 3.1 says the license is assigned to you as a person and that you
> can use it for internal business purposes.
> How this translates to a compiler is a bit weird. IMO, if you're a
> software house, writing code and compiling it would be your internal
> business purpose, so that would be fine.
>
> That 3.1 is perhaps a sort of protection against people reselilng the
> Pathscale stuff as their own product or something?!? However, any
> GPL-licensed software would trump that part of the agreeement anyway...
>
> 3.3 is covered in your other mail.

And to (some) this would be a showstopper: what this means, is that you can
(if possible) compile the Pathscale portions, but your application
can't /include/ their source code, (you have to link to the binary instead?),
and no source code of Pathscale stuff can be distributed to outside your
/internal/ purpose.

> BTW, I noticed some threads on the Phoronix forum going on about GPL
> code being injected into compiled code, which would "contaminate" the
> entire binary with the GPL license, so no chance to create a MIT/BSD etc
> licensed binary.

Well I haven't looked at the code but I think 3.3 implies, that the GPL portions
can only use binary linking to pre-compiled Pathscale portions (i.e. have to have
their own lib wrappers?)

Any idea what the actual portions covered by Pathscale license are ?

> Haven't looked into it further because I only wanted to point out the
> debugger could perhaps be a useful alternative to gdb...

Depends if the debugger is covered by GPL or the Pathscale portions, I think.

> Thanks,
> Reinier

Lukasz
(disclaimer: IANAFSOSL, I am not a free software/open source lawyer)