[fpc-pascal] working witg UCS4Char

ik idokan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 17:38:15 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:
> On Fri, November 9, 2012 17:01, ik wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>
>> wrote:
>>> On 09 Nov 2012, at 16:06, ik wrote:
>>>
>>> And if I do it without the hash, then it's just a number
>>>

>>> UCS4Char is in fact just a number, and UCS4String is just a dynamic
>>> array of
>>> cardinal. UCS4 is not implemented as a complete string type in FPC (or
>>> Delphi, for that matter).
>>
>> Cardinal is a bit problematic type, you mean longword. :)
>
> Why do you see cardinal as a "problematic type"? At least for FPC it is a
> simple alias to longword (and it has actually existed even before longword
> in FPC).

At least with Delphi it has unclear what exactly the size of it.
And the following code:
https://github.com/ik5/fp-msgpack/blob/master/src/msgpack.pas#L528

Used to be with Cardinal (the only difference), and It never acted as expected.
The only thing I changed was from cardinal to longword, and it acts as expected.