[fpc-pascal] secure REST client?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Nov 9 04:11:57 CET 2012

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, waldo kitty wrote:
>

>> i'm looking at creating a REST web application client... nothing fancy...
>> command line oriented... fire it up, it logs into the website and performs the
>> REST queries saving the output to named files...
>>
>> i have no clue where to start looking in the FPC documentation or any existing
>> libraries... i have toyed with something using fpweb that would pull some
>> pages from a site for scraping but that idea is no longer being considered...
>
> Why not ?

mainly because the data is better gathered from the other site with REST... no
need to screenscrape from there or have to deal with a lack of data because the
1st site hasn't gathered it ;)

>> firstly i'm not sure how to go about doing the login ops with cookies and
>> such... the site gives some assistance and examples for using wget and curl
>> but i think i'd prefer to handle this in my client... currently there's a
>> "normal" login on an existing non-REST site and then there's a new method of
>> login on the REST site... i haven't been able to figure out how to convert my
>> fpweb client so that it properly logs in and retains the login so that
>> subsequent queries will work...
>
> I have done this in several projects using fpweb (specifically fphttpclient).
> Usually it is simply a matter of retaining some cookies.

you should recall my recent foray into using that code... i had asked about
persistent connections because mine weren't completing until i included headers
to state the connection was to be closed...

> if you give more details, maybe I can offer more help ?

i'm not sure what to give... i have no clue how to gather cookie data and send
it back based on the existing example(s) that i've seen :(

i do know that i was unable to use the REST site's sample wget cookie stuff make
requests to the "normal" login site... i don't know how to state that properly
since i'm not sure how either site is really working in this aspect... i only
know that the cookie stuff apparently didn't work as described by simply
changing the site address from one to the other...