[fpc-pascal] Unicode support

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Wed May 16 20:51:54 CEST 2012

I wanted to ask what the present state of unicode support is now.

I'm running into problems with some various strings.  Sometimes when a
string contains a unicode character postgresql won't allow the
insert/update.  Also, some MP3 tags contain UTF16, UTF16BE and I really
don't know of the best practice on how to handle multi-byte characters in
code.

I have 3 representations of the same string for all ID3 frames for my MP3
tag reader.  I have to say - this has become an issue.

Anyone want to comment on direction of FPC for Unicode... Ie I think the
string field should be able to re-map to UTF8.  Is that something that can
be done?

What can I do to support unicode in the serving of
pages/files/documents/music without having to have encoding aware code.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_Unicode_support