[fpc-pascal] FPC + valgrind massif problems

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri May 11 11:04:29 CEST 2012

Sven Barth wrote:
> You could try whether heaptrc is of any help for you (see here:
> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/heaptrc/usage.html ). If not it
> might at least provide a starting point if you should decide to write a
> custom memory profiler. Otherwise I don't know of any FPC based memory
> profilers.

Thanks. I'm using HeapTrc all the time, that's how I know that my
program has no memory leaks and that's how I know FPC memory manager can
be reliably switched and a backtrace for each allocation can be captured :)

My needs are a little larger than what HeapTrc currently does, I want a
memory profiler --- where you can see at a glance what is the largest
memory consumer inside your code and such. Things like
http://lazarusroad.blogspot.com/2007/09/zlibar-memory-behavior-compressing-many.html
. Like calling HeapTrc.DumpHeap all the time, and tracking where the
large increases happened. Valgrind+massif used to be very helpful for this.

Michalis