[fpc-pascal] Re: Linux sound (especially MIDI) programming: ALSA?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Mon May 7 10:39:54 CEST 2012

leledumbo wrote:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/fpalsa/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/humus/

Thanks for those. Also
http://perso.wanadoo.es/plcl/alsapas/alsapas-en.html so as I thought
there appears to be (at least) two sets of ALSA bindings: fpalsa and
alsapas.

Noted HuMuS, but that appears to be for PortAudio. However using that as
a seed I get to http://breakoutbox.de/pascal/pascal.html#PortAudio which
claims to include PortMidi support- this is supposedly cross-platform
but requires an additional library which might not be available on all
distreaux. Also MIDI is very much the "poor cousin" and operating
support is patchy, so since I've got ALSA working I'm reluctant to risk
breaking anything.

Since running on anything other than Linux is not a significant
priority, I think I'll probably start off with by doing a comparison of
fpalsa and alsapas, and writing code that will support either if
possible. If I could also code to support PortMidi that would be a
bonus, but by no means essential: I'm trying to knock together a MIDI
transposer for my own use, and testbed some techniques for another project.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk