[fpc-pascal] InstantFPC and argv

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sat May 5 15:04:05 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 14:13, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Sat, 5 May 2012 14:02:12 +0200 (CEST)
> "Tomas Hajny" <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:

>> > I think the environment variable is the best and easiest shot.
>>
>> My proposal is platform independent (i.e. it will work also under Win32,
>> OS/2, etc., without any changes). Your proposal probably requires
>> starting
>> the compiled binary using platform specific API functions to run it with
>> modified environment rather than using ExecuteProcess which results in
>> passing the standard parent's environment (changing the current's
>> process
>> environment may not be supported on all platforms).
>
> ExecuteProcess is only a simple utility function.
> All posix platforms can start a process with another
> environment. By default they use the current.

Indeed. But InstantFPC works not only on posix platforms but also on WinXX
and OS/2 at least if I remember correctly (and there's no reason why it
couldn't be used even on Dos with e.g. 4DOS). All of them allow passing a
different environment to the child process, but the implementation is
obviously always different. That means that you need to replicate the
platform specific implementation of that 'wrapper' for all supported
platforms within InstantFPC.

> A const requires to recompile the program every time you call the script
> from another location.

You mean if calling the script with path? Yes, that's true. Passing full
path would be safer, but obviously different from ParamStr (0) behaviour.

> A const in the main script is only accessible by the program,
> not by the used units.

There are obviously solutions for that. However, I assume that the main
use case for such scripts is writing a complete script in one file (the
main program).

Tomas