[fpc-pascal] Re: Is TEventobject obsolete?

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Jun 13 23:28:53 CEST 2012

On 13 Jun 12, at 18:33, Victor Campillo wrote:
> El 11/06/2012 10:52, Victor Campillo escribió:

Hi,

> > I have a doubt about Basicevent and RTLevent, according to the
> > documentation Basicevent is obsolete and I should use RTLevent
> > instead. I use most of the time Rtlevent but now I need to know the
> > result of WaitFor (signaled, timeout, ect). Rtlevent don't provide
> > this, instead TEventobject in syncobjs does it. The problem is that
> > TEventobject is based on Basicevent, at least in fpc 2.6.1. This means
> > that TEventobject is obsolete also?
> >
> > What should I do to have Events with return result in Wait calls?
> >
> > Thank you in advance and sorry for my poor english.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> Someone can clarify this?

I can comment on it only partly, but maybe it helps as a starter at
least. BasicEvent is visibly modelled after features and behaviour
available on Win32 (and Win64). Some of the functionality is
difficult to replicate on other platforms (to say the least) and e.g.
some parameters are simply ignored there. On the other hand, RTLEvent
is designed to allow uniform behaviour across the supported targets.
I believe that this _may_ be the reason for the different status.

Now regarding TEventObject status - I have no clue, but I wouldn't
assume that automatically unless this is stated explicitly. After
all, users shouldn't be expected to study the current implementation
in order to find out about stuff considered obsolete...

Tomas