[fpc-pascal] Nginx, FastCGI and /module/action vs ?module=module&action=action

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Jul 22 10:48:53 CEST 2012

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012, leledumbo wrote:

> I have a web app that works fine with embedded http server, but due to its
> current bugs, I need to switch to something more reliable.

Please report any bugs you find.
I know of only 1 bug that is connected to reliability.

> So I choose
> FastCGI and a great web server for this so far is Nginx for me. This is the
> configuration for my web:
>
> server {
>  listen      80;
>  index       /index/home;
>  server_name tkd1depok.org www.tkd1depok.org;
>
>  location / {
>    fastcgi_pass  localhost:9000;
>    fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $fastcgi_script_name;
>    include       fastcgi_params;
>  }
> }
>
> It runs OK, but I can't use /module/action syntax, I have to use GET style
> (?module=module&action=action) to get the correct execution. Furthermore, it
> can't also use action without setting ActionVar of the module (which is not
> required for embedded server), proven by GetActionName in fphttp returning
> empty string. So if I would like to use /module/action syntax, is it
> possible with fpfcgi?

I use it like that under apache since a long time, on windows and Linux,
both with mod_factgi and mod_fcgid.

It's probably a limitation/bug of the nginx server ?
Module/action syntax depends on how the PATHINFO variable is passed to the CGI/FastCGI script.

Michael.