[fpc-pascal] Longstrings

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Wed Jul 4 17:38:44 CEST 2012

Am 2012-07-04 10:22, schrieb Marco van de Voort:
 >> Safest method is not to use the generic type "string" in your code.
 >> Instead use directly the string type that you need (i.e. "ansistring" or "unicodestring").

 > I wouldn't do that. That makes later migration unnecessary involved.

I find it quite naive to believe that a "later migration" (to what?) can be achieved by simply changing the string type. In general, the code needs changes too when doing that. And therefore it would be a good idea to force oneself to have a look at the code by having to change the type definitions.

 > Just define an alias and use that everywhere.

Of course, that's the best way. But this is a different topic. The alias can also point to "string" again which does not help very much. So the alias should be for a fixed type like ansisting or unicodestring but not for "string".