[fpc-pascal] Advanced Records - Why not available by default?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 11:07:07 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Lars <noreply at z505.com> wrote:
> Personally, I'm getting sick of all the new features added to delphi that
> don't add anything meaningful, and just add complexity to the compiler.

Why is compiler complexity relevant (if true at all that the new
features add significant complexity)? Are you sending patches to the
compiler and finds that the new features disturb this?

About adding something meaningful, this varies from one person to
another one. For me new features might not be useful now, but if there
is a chance they might be useful in the future, then they are good
features to have. Use cases are often not obvious. I would normally
not think that static class methods are useful, but they were very
useful for me in the early days of PasCocoa. And if a features will
never be useful to me, then they will be for someone else (if they
were useful for noone, then noone would have written the code to
support them in the first place)

And if you dont like them, you dont need to use them. The LCL rarely
uses newer compiler features. I would say the same for most code in
the FCL.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho