[fpc-pascal] Advanced Records - Why not available by default?

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sun Jan 15 18:15:15 CET 2012

J.-c. Chu schrieb:
 > Frankly, every new feature will be a mere increase of complexity if you
 > reject learning about it.

So how should in your opinion (Object) Pascal look like in say 10 or 15
years?
If new "features" are added with the same speed as in the past, it would
become
a monster that only those who grew up with it (without gap) or who
invest months
of learning can control.. Every novice would surrender because the
learning curve
is so steep. It's no surprise that other scipting languages are so popular.
In general they are much easier to learn.

Borland/Embacadero was the driving force behind all these changes and
FPC had
to follow if it wanted to stay compatible. But Borland added all these
features
just for one reason: They had to sell new versions of Delphi. Not the
new users
were the target but the existing (who should upgrade). The new ones are
(were)
coming anyway because they were forced to (by the existing users). But
if one
day FPC frees from Delphi then I hope that this annoying feature-creep
stops.

 > There is a listing, despite not up-to-date, of new language features
 > since Delphi 7, at <http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/34324>.  Not all
 > of them are currently implemented in FPC.  Could you point out which of
 > them is “nonsense” or “only saves some keystrokes”?

I may not be a standard user (but in the end, who is?) but I have never
used
(nor missed) any of the mentioned concepts, nor collections, nor objects
nor
classes nor whatever has been added in the last 20 years and I have never
missed any of them. My programs are lightning fast and easy to understand.

The only thing that changed was that the number (and mightiness) of used
libraries. But I can use them all with Pascal concepts that exist since
Turbo Pascal.