[fpc-pascal] Advanced Records - Why not available by default?

J.-c. Chu jcchu at acm.org
Sun Jan 15 14:44:49 CET 2012

Frankly, every new feature will be a mere increase of complexity if you
reject learning about it.

There is a listing, despite not up-to-date, of new language features
since Delphi 7, at <http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/34324>.  Not all
of them are currently implemented in FPC.  Could you point out which of
them is “nonsense” or “only saves some keystrokes”?

On January 15, 2012, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

> Lars schrieb:
>> Personally, I'm getting sick of all the new features added to delphi that
>> don't add anything meaningful, and just add complexity to the compiler.
>> why didn't borland just make people use old borland objects with methods
>> instead of new advanced records? Old borland objects are advanced
>> records..
>>
>> Ticking me off more: why do we even have objects and classes? what is an
>> object? what are classes?  I would have preferred if borland would have
>> just called old borland objects "Extended records" from day one. Now we
>> have this feature overload in the language and it's becoming more and
>> more
>> complex of a language (needlessly). Objects, Classes, records.. aren't
>> they all the same thing? I don't even personally buy the idea that
>> objects
>> even exist.. i think they are just extended records. What is an
>> object? an
>> instance of a class? if so, why did borland call the type definition
>> "object" if it was supposed to be a class? Ugh. Ugly language - it is
>> becoming - sorry to say!
>>

> I agree wholeheartly with you!!
>
> Lots of nonsense is added that is already available otherwise (or only
> saves some keystrokes).
> In the past Pascal was an easy to learn (still powerfull) language.
> Today the direction goes
> into increased complexity as all the other languages and nobody realy
> understands it anymore
> so programmers code in a suboptimal manner more and more.
>
> Some may say: You don't have to use it. That's true. But I am also no
> longer able to read
> foreign code (i.e. Lazarus program code) because all these strange
> concepts are used there.

Best Regards,
J.-c. Chu