[fpc-pascal] Command line FPC/Lazarus SVN downloader/installer

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 07:36:17 CET 2012

Hi Lazarus & FPC people,

I got very tired of writing Windows and Linux batch files, so I've
written an FPC/Lazarus installer that allows you to keep a copy of FPC
and Lazarus that it updates from SVN.
This copy can live apart from a regular FPC/Lazarus install as it uses
--primary-config path for Lazarus.

Currently set to FPC 2.6 fixes, but you can easily change that in the
program code.

(I had earlier worked on extending the LazUpdater program, but that
seemed to be just too much code. Who knows, when finished with all
requirements, my new code will look the same, but we'll see ;) )

Advice and comments gratefully received.

Thanks,
Reinier

Source code: http://lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,15701.0.html
Already done:
* Program runs on Windows
* Download FPC & Lazarus SVN sources
* Make/compile FPC and Lazarus
* Create fpc.cfg in FPC directory
* Build lazdatadesktop using compiled lazbuild
* Use --primary-config-path for lazbuild compilations, create directory
if it doesn't exit
* Lazarus/FPC SVN URL and install directory can be specified in main unit
* Code workaround for SVN server problems (retry mechanism)
* Check FPC and make are the right kind (not Delphi make or a random
program that happens to be called fpc.exe
* Implement bare metal installer on Windows (download SVN executable,
make/binutils): note: have some issues with binutils...
* Check for existing FPC compiler and download bootstrap compiler
executable from SVN if none present

To do:
* Download/install help, if possible change Lazarus settings so it works
out of the box
* Use (e.g.) ini file for config instead of hardcoded data in the main unit
* User-configurable compiler switches (-gh -gl etc) for both FPC and Lazarus
* Check that crosscompiling x64 code works on Windows
* Linux + OSX versions
* Perhaps a GUI
* Test in general