[fpc-pascal] Feature announcement: Extension of TThread's interface

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 27 22:06:31 CET 2012

On 27.12.2012 21:29, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 27/12/12 16:23, Sven Barth wrote:
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce the extension of TThread's interface to bring it
>> more on par...
>
> Very nicely done Sven. There is some really handy functionality now.

It was mostly done for Delphi compatibility :P (with the exception of
GetTickCount64)

>> The methods NameThreadForDebugging need to be
>> implemented for those platforms that support it.
>
> Is this platform API functionality eg: Win32 or Linux kernel (from your
> comment, I assume so), or is it debugger functionality (eg: DWARF info)
> that needs to be extended.

It's a platform API.

On Windows you raise a SEH Exception using a special exception code and
content and on PThreads based systems you call a specific pthreads
function (with an additional call on Mac OS X systems).

Then the debugger is (at least in theory) able to use that name.

Regards,
Sven