[fpc-pascal] Basically on the right track?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 27 11:21:13 CET 2012

On 24.12.2012 20:26, Patrick wrote:
> Question 1:
> Can fpc create gcc compatible object code ?

As FPC can use GCC created object code the other way round should be
possible, too. You only need to pay attention that FPC mangles the
identifers. So a function "Bar(aArg: Integer): Integer" in unit "Foo"
will in the object code have a name of something like
"FOO_$$_BAR$INTEGER". So if you want to use Pascal functions from
another language you should add a "[public: 'Bar']" after the function's
declaration so that you can use the function by the name 'Bar'.

> Question 2:
> alternatively can gpc be used to compile the gtk binding?

I don't use GPC and thus can't comment on it. AFAIK GPC also relies on a
quite old GCC version (3.x).

> I am having some trouble compiling gtk pascal examples, the linker can't
> find -lgtk etc. It looks like it is a naming issue and I can create
> links to get myself out of trouble however,

Which GTK examples? Are you trying GTK (aka GTK 1) or GTK+ (aka GTK 2)
examples? You need to have the correct development library installed for
them (especially important if you are on a deb-based system like Debian
or Ubuntu).

> Question 3:
> Is it possible to specify the libraries to use to fpc ? In Ada we have
> .gpr files that can list where things are to be found.

FPC relies on the search paths that the system knows. You can specify
additional paths using "-Fl/path" and then those paths will be searched
first.

Regards,
Sven