[fpc-pascal] Strings - suggestions

dev.dliw at gmail.com dev.dliw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 13:07:10 CET 2012

Hi,
thanks for the quick reply.

So the direction seems to be quite clear...
... unfortunately this seemingly wasn't communicated clearly enough to the
surroundings.

>Because of the requirement for backwards compatibility with FPC itself,
>we'll make 2 RTLs: one backwards compatible, one with the new unicode string.
Do you mean really seperated sources or a comiler switch?

What's the problem to use the "new" RTL with Ansistring? I can't see a
problem, if it doesn't use direct string access...
... of course you have to compile it accordingly..

>so you can choose which string type you need per unit
Can a project wide choice override this for *any* unit (3rd party) or will
there be conversion going on between the different units?

d.l.i.w