[fpc-pascal] Re: Identifier not found "result"

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Aug 31 11:23:49 CEST 2012

Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> Am Friday 31 August 2012 10:38:32 schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
>> FPC is mature in terms of
>> age, mature in terms of stability, and mature in terms of the developers
>> not liking changing established features: sometimes that frustrates
>> almost everybody, but it's something to be lived with.
>
> So why use Delphi anymore?
> And try to be Delphi compatible at any cost?

How does one error message add to or detract from Delphi compatibility?
I could equally point out error messages from the compiler due to its
cross-platform nature that Delphi doesn't emit.

Reiner. If you don't like it, then take the sources of the compiler and
start your own branch. Deduce how it works- and elsewhere you might see
that I'm putting /my/ neck on the line by being critical of the limited
extent to which this is documented, so don't think that it's just you
fighting the system- and fix what you perceive as a bug. But just be
damned sure that your result doesn't break anything, runs all the
compiler tests on all platforms, and tracks recent developments.

When you're done, come back with a patch. But until then, go fork >:-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk