[fpc-pascal] Re: Identifier not found "result"

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 19:13:01 CEST 2012

On 30-8-2012 18:44, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> Am Thursday 30 August 2012 18:28:41 schrieb Tomas Hajny:
>> do not say that it is wrong to be more helpful in error messages, but
>> rather that your proposal tries to "fix" a very small fragment of
>> something much more general and moreover that the proposed message may be
>> very easily misleading as already demonstrated by Mark. Yet other cases
>> might not be detected by the compiler at all:
>
> Ok so you prefer to let the beginner leave out in the rain.
> Because he and someone else (more experienced) _could_ mislead a clearly
> formulated message (are you in the right syntax mode?).

Tomas (and Mark) explained with coherent, well written, valid reasoning
why implementing this idea of yours would be too much work for too
little gain.
Then you go and repeat your initial stance (tinged with an accusatory
undertone) without taking into account that reasoning.
Strange.

I'd propose you either get stuck in the sources and figure out a patch
that covers all corner cases (both already described and any others) ("I
don't think that it is that difficult to implement") or... accept the
people that posted won't do it.

Also, emphasizing positive aspects/solutions in posts (instead of
negative aspects) may lead to a bigger chance of convincing people to do
things your way.
It will definitely make for a nicer atmosphere.

Thanks,
Reinier