[fpc-pascal] Re: Identifier not found "result"

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Aug 30 18:07:13 CEST 2012

On 30 Aug 2012, at 17:14, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

> TP for DOS at
> least supports a function result (as I remember) thus it is not Delphi only
> as you mention.

Turbo Pascal does not support the "result" alias for the function result.

> What's wrong with such a message that is easy to implement and will help
> beginners to freepascal a lot?

We give such a message when someone tries to define a "class" type without having ObjFPC/Delphi mode activated. That is a message that is always correct, because

type
  tsomething = class
  end;

does not and cannot have any other meaning in another compilation mode. As has been pointed out by other people, that is not true for random occurrences of the word "result" in the source code.

Jonas