[fpc-pascal] Linker speed

Rainer Stratmann RainerStratmann at t-online.de
Fri Aug 24 17:08:13 CEST 2012

Am Friday 24 August 2012 12:02:06 schrieb Tomas Hajny:
> > Compiler Version: 2.4.2-0 i386
>
> That is a pretty old version now (not that this should be the reason of
> your issue).

It was ok with the same version :-)
I am satisfied with 2.4.2-0.

> Does your fpc.cfg use smartlinking (-XX)?

Yes.

> I could imagine that
> smartlinking could slow down things if you haven't used it before (but the
> advantage of smartlinking are smaller binaries obviously).

Yes, it was the reason, thanks!
I did not deselect external configuration file in the project settings.
So I was not aware that the switch was set there...

> What is the current linking time and rough speed difference compared to
> the previous state?

0.1ms to 0.6ms (I have an i7-3770S).

> Current linking time may get easier to measure if you
> use option -s when compiling and adapt the resulting ppas.sh by adding
> some timing call before and after the ld invocation.

Lazarus shows the time and I can feel that it is slower in comparison to
before.