[fpc-pascal] Searching for files all over the disk

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 00:00:58 CEST 2012

On 8/20/12, Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:

> Well, it is a bad idea to wildly scan directory branches "just in case" at
> all.

In the context of the converter it is not a "just in case" scenario.

My Delphi projects are located like this:

F:\Delphi Projecten //all my projects reside in a subfolder of this
F:\Delphi Projecten\Mijn Lib   //general prupose units
F:\Delphi Projecten\PasParser
F:\Delphi Projecten\Endurance Calculator
F:\Delphi Projecten\HtmlEdit
F:\Delphi Projecten\etc.

So in order to find the nldlg32 unit that the PasParser project uses,
the converter has to look in my "Mijn Lib" folder.

As Juha has pointed out, this is a general way projects are organized.
Hence this particular search strategy.
Obviously it needed some limitation, and we have implemented that
(crude as it may be).

> That's fooling so many people and there is no good reason for doing so.

As explained above, there is.

> Only paths specified by the user (i.e. in config) should be searched.

A valid suggestion on how to improve the converter!

Bart