[fpc-pascal] FPC vs Delphi's unicode string support questions

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 00:30:25 CEST 2012

Hi

On 18 August 2012 22:44, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
> The mode is called "delphiunicode" and in Delphi unicode versions, string = unicodestring.

Not to get this thread into one of those heated unicode discussions
again, but couldn't FPC at least do one better that Delphi. "Unicode"
means a string in UTF-8 or UTF-16 or UTF-32 encoding - this is how the
unicode standard is defined. Why must FPC fall into the same shit
habit of Delphi where "unicode" means _only_ UTF-16 (which by
definition is wrong!)

Maybe "UnicodeString" should be reserved for the true meaning. And for
DelphiUnicode mode do something like String = DelphiString where
DelphiString is a UTF-16 only string [or String =
CodePageString(utf-16) or whatever you want to call it].

Anyway, just my 2ยข worth..... no need for any reply.

  - Graeme -