[fpc-pascal] Re: Get all caller adresses of a given function/procedure before executing

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 13:27:17 CEST 2012

On 16/08/2012 10:27, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> Am Thursday 16 August 2012 10:50:25 schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
[...]
> Please note that it works perfect.
> There can be more of those comments, making a bad mood.
> But that does not affect that this is working perfect.
> I further don't seen the need to explain everyone who is struggling with a
> tool for that and a tool for that how simple things work.
>
>> I wonder what would happen if somebody tried to run the code on an OS
>> that protects executable code from being read?

Umm from what Rainer wrote elsewhere, I think, he's embedding the 'executable scanner'
into the same executable in question, so that problem doesn't exist... more or less?
(can't forbid the program from reading itself can't we?)

So from this POV, his process /is/ easier: he runs his program, and tells it to export
strings to be translated, then loads 'snippets' on demand/on next execution.

To Rainer: Please accept apologies, I did not mean to offend you - I just tried to
find out more about your solution;

But still not something I would use if I had a choice, I must note that.

Reasons? Technically I don't think it's better to browse through executables.
Requires knowledge /I/ don't have/find useful in plain everyday use of FPC - of its internals,
assembler etc, processor opcodes... much too low-level for my comfortable liking.
Every core change in FPC, may break it. You won't know until it happens.
It won't work on any other processor/FPC target than x86 (Windows on ARM,
Android, JAVA VM, to name just a few) without getting deep-level working knowledge of that first.

All I mean, your solution won't do for /me/ that's it :)

Regards,
Lukasz