[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: should we hard-code versioned or unversioned shared libraries in our apps?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 01:35:21 CEST 2012

On 15 August 2012 21:53, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Did you look at the source/makefile or the binary? If the latter then this
> is exactly what FPC (or more precisely the linker) does when you statically
> link to a shared library

Yes, FlameRobin was statically linked. But that's beside the point. It
works in FPC is you statically like your SqlDB+Firebird application
(though I had a libfbclient.so symlink already), but it fails if you
dynamically link that same app. Not to mention that SqlDB defaults to
dynamically linked - something myself and others seem to prefer.

I just think ibconnection.pp should rather look at the versioned
shared library, just like the linker does with static linking. Thus
making applications easier to deploy.  Is that too much to ask?

  - Graeme -