[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: should we hard-code versioned or unversioned shared libraries in our apps?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 01:13:16 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 15 August 2012 19:02, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:

> Did you try ibase60dyn.initializeibase60('whatever.so'); in your dpr ?

I'm sure I can add that, and I'm sure it will work for my Firebird
connections, but other libraries I use don't have such functionality.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of....
  * Why must developers jump through hoops to get there DB apps to work
  * Why did FPC decide to use unversioned shared libraries under linux when
     they (fpc developers) clearly know than those -devel packages are
not installed
     as standard - thus making deployment of FPC+DB apps unnecessary complex.

Yes it's great that the Firebird dynamic linking unit supports passing
in aditional library names, but why not simply use the correct name as
standard.  Other apps that talk to Firebird link to libfbclient.so.2
because that is the latest version of Firebird, and when you install
the standard Firebird Client libraries, only the versioned ones are
installed.

I also believe that the ibconnection.pp unit is coded for Firebird 2.1
and 2.5, so assuming the default shared library (libfbclient.so.2) is
really not a great leap.

  - Graeme -