[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: should we hard-code versionedorunversioned shared libraries in our apps?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Aug 15 19:08:34 CEST 2012

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Ludo Brands wrote:

>> No, this would suggest that you can set a different value for
>> each instance.
>>
> I don't see what is wrong with that. You get a nice exception when you try
> to load a different library than the one that is alread loaded. But if I
> want to make an app that works with embedded firebird or firebird client
> (user selectable at any time) that have completely different settings (user,
> password, database, etc), what is I wrong with creating 2 instances in the
> OI and connect only one at the time?

IMHO that would be a total waste:
Since you'll have to store username/password/db file anyway in some
form of user settings, you might as well store the library name as well.

It so happens that I have an application in production that does
all this.

It only requires a restart in case you choose another library.

> You can't be connected the 2 at the
> same time but that is a run-time issue, not design time.

Because only 1 library can be loaded for each type of connection:
the entry points are global.

What you suggest implicates keeping a reference count, unloading,
and then reloading.

Ivo Steinmann tried implementing that once, and all his efforts
were undone because it gave too much problems (specially the
unloading if I recall correctly).

>> I think a settings dialog in the component editor (from the
>> form designer) would be better. Or a settings dialog under 'Tools'.
>>

> Where would you store the value(s) then so that
> 1) it can be streamed

It does not need to be streamed, I imagined an IDE setting only.

You pointed out that one cannot set the library for the IDE;
I merely point out a solution for that.

The library name to use - per type of connection - can be stored in the IDE settings.

> 2) the instances can pick up the value (instances decide whether connection
> is active or not. Current implementation will load library when the first
> connection becomes active)

But does not unload correctly.

> 3) when using multiple db backends (FB + postgres for example) the instances
> pick up the correct library

The setting is for the IDE only: One setting per type of backend.

I do not think a solution is required for the components.
Yes, you cannot set the location in the OI, but I do not think
this is needed in the first place, see the use case at the beginning.

Michael.