[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: should we hard-code versioned or unversioned shared libraries in our apps?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Aug 15 17:27:19 CEST 2012

On 15 Aug 2012, at 17:19, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> So why does FCL-DB look at the unversioned *.so by default? Wouldn't
>> it make more sense to change FCL-DB to look for libfbclient.so.2
>> instead? 2 being the latest major version of Firebird DB, and that is
>> also the latest version that ibconnection.pp was written for.
>
> It makes sense.

FWIW, on Mac OS X Firebird only ships a libfbclient.dylib (no libfbclient.2.dylib -- on Mac OS X, the version number is placed before the shared library extension rather than after it). The reason is probably the library is not shipped with Mac OS X by default, so you have to embed the library/framework into your application bundle anyway and then you know which version you use).

Jonas