[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: should we hard-code versioned or unversioned shared libraries in our apps?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 17:02:17 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 15 August 2012 15:32, Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislagers at gmail.com> wrote:
> And you can use the (Firebird/Interbase Services IIRC) API to get the
> server version. I seem to remember Ludo's recent addition to FPC has
> this functionality.

Yes, but you are jumping the gun here! My problem is that I can't even
start my app, because the libfbclient.so is missing in every distro I
tried. Linux distros (on client PC's at least), do not include the
-devel packages by default, so they only have the versioned shared
libraries setup.

I had a quick look to see what other (non FPC based) application do.
FlameRobin has a dependency on libfbclient.so.2 (thus versioned .so
library). That's why it works without having to install the -devel
package.

So why does FCL-DB look at the unversioned *.so by default? Wouldn't
it make more sense to change FCL-DB to look for libfbclient.so.2
instead? 2 being the latest major version of Firebird DB, and that is
also the latest version that ibconnection.pp was written for.

  - Graeme -