[fpc-pascal] Re: Get all caller adresses of a given function/procedure before executing

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed Aug 15 11:19:13 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:20:34AM +0200, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 15-8-2012 10:08, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

> >> No with (dx)gettext you don't need pascal identifiers for every string.
> >> And the translating function is _():string;
> >> So all you do is writeln(_('snippet1'));, to follow your convention.
> >>
> >> So it more or less uses the same idea as you are trying to replicate.
> >>
> > Yes, that is possible as I understand it so far.
> > I did not know (dx)gettext before so replication is may not the right word.
> Yes, it is. Replication is doing the same thing twice, regardless of the
> reasons/knowledge behind that fact.

I'm not sure about that since replication isn't really a word, although it
has crept into the English language. I look at it from a results POV rather
from an action POV. Replication is about producing copies of the same
result. You can do a similar action multiple times (duplication) and produce
a dissimilar result. That wouldn't be replicating anything, it would just be
a duplication of effort.

>From a database POV (which is how I know what little I know about
replication since I was involved in a project to do this in the early 1990s
before the whole db replication thing got so commonplace) the word
replication means not that anything was done more than once, but that the
one result was propagated to multiple places. So it seems to me replication
is about multiple result instances, not multiple action instances.

--